Follow
International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences (IJCMAS)
IJCMAS is now DOI (CrossRef) registered Research Journal. The DOIs are assigned to all published IJCMAS Articles.
Index Copernicus ICI Journals Master List 2019 - IJCMAS--ICV 2019: 96.39 For more details click here
National Academy of Agricultural Sciences (NAAS) : NAAS Score: *5.38 (2020) [Effective from January 1, 2020]For more details click here

Login as a Reviewer

Indexed in



National Academy of Agricultural Sciences (NAAS)
NAAS Score: *5.38 (2020)
[Effective from January 1, 2020]
For more details click here

ICV 2019: 96.39
Index Copernicus ICI Journals Master List 2019 - IJCMAS--ICV 2019: 96.39
For more details click here

See Guidelines to Authors
Current Issues

Original Research Articles

PRINT ISSN : 2319-7692
Online ISSN : 2319-7706
Issues : 12 per year
Publisher : Excellent Publishers
Email : editorijcmas@gmail.com / submit@ijcmas.com
Editor-in-chief: Dr.M.Prakash
Index Copernicus ICV 2018: 95.39
NAAS RATING 2020: 5.38

Int.J.Curr.Microbiol.App.Sci.2018.7(7): 1752-1759
DOI: https://doi.org/10.20546/ijcmas.2018.707.208


Problems and Constraints in Banana Cultivation: A Case Study in Bhagalpur District of Bihar, India
Priyanka Kumari1, K.M. Singh1 and Santosh Kumar Atre2
1Department of Agricultural Economics, Dr. Rajendra Prasad Central Agricultural University, Pusa-848125, India
2Horticulture Society of India, New Delhi
*Corresponding author
Abstract:

India has been predominantly agrarian economy since time immemorial. Development efforts over the last four decades have doubtless strengthened our industrial base. The banana in the state has been reportedly being cultivated under traditional manner. By and large, the farmers are cultivating only the traditional varieties of banana. Perishability is one of the important constraints in banana production and marketing. Processing opportunities are absent to a great extent. The price behaviour in banana crop has been violently fluctuating and the farmers are put to great loss and the consumer is also not benefited. The non-availability of credit was important to the extent of 88.0, 77.0 and 33.0 per cent for semi-medium, marginal &small and medium and large category of banana growers, respectively. The non-availability of proper market and dominance of pre-harvest contractors was considered the limiting factor in the order of 100, 64 and 44 per cent by three categories of growers, respectively with overall mean average as 77 per cent. All sample growers were of the opinion that the soil of the area is suitable for banana cultivation as well as its profitable nature. As far as its ‘ready market’ aspect was concerned 21, 24 and 8 growers favoured it, while ‘regular income’ aspect was favoured by 21, 25 and 7 growers respectively.


Keywords: Banana, Pre-harvest contractors, Ready marke, Regular income, Constraints
Download this article as Download

How to cite this article:

Priyanka Kumari, K.M. Singh and Santosh Kumar Atre. 2018. Problems and Constraints in Banana Cultivation: A Case Study in Bhagalpur District of Bihar.Int.J.Curr.Microbiol.App.Sci. 7(7): 1752-1759. doi: https://doi.org/10.20546/ijcmas.2018.707.208