Follow
International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences (IJCMAS)
IJCMAS is now DOI (CrossRef) registered Research Journal. The DOIs are assigned to all published IJCMAS Articles.
Index Copernicus ICI Journals Master List 2018 - IJCMAS--ICV 2018: 95.39 For more details click here
National Academy of Agricultural Sciences (NAAS) : NAAS Score: *5.38 (2020) [Effective from January 1, 2020]For more details click here

Login as a Reviewer

Indexed in



National Academy of Agricultural Sciences (NAAS)
NAAS Score: *5.38 (2020)
[Effective from January 1, 2020]
For more details click here

ICV 2018: 95.39
Index Copernicus ICI Journals Master List 2018 - IJCMAS--ICV 2018: 95.39
For more details click here

See Guidelines to Authors
Current Issues

Original Research Articles

PRINT ISSN : 2319-7692
Online ISSN : 2319-7706
Issues : 12 per year
Publisher : Excellent Publishers
Email : editorijcmas@gmail.com / submit@ijcmas.com
Editor-in-chief: Dr.M.Prakash
Index Copernicus ICV 2018: 95.39
NAAS RATING 2020: 5.38

Int.J.Curr.Microbiol.App.Sci.2016.5(8): 316-323
DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.20546/ijcmas.2016.508.034


Characterization of Microbial Causative Agents of Subclinical Mastitis in Goats in Bulgaria
Kalin Hristov*, Teodora Popova, Roman Pepovich and Branimir Nikolov
Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Forestry,10 Kliment Ohridski Blvd., Sofia, Bulgaria
*Corresponding author
Abstract:

Mastitis is the most prevalent mammary gland disease in goats. It has a number of unfavorable health effects in the affected animals and leads to economic losses in the farms. The aim of this study was to isolate and identify microorganisms causing subclinical mastitis (SCM) in goats. Two hundred and twenty-nine milk samples from lactating goats were studied. Microorganisms were isolated from 189 of these samples (82.53%), but not from the remaining 40 ones (17.47%). Isolation and identification of microbial pathogens was carried out using elective and selective growth media for various groups of bacteria. Identification was done using biochemical tests and additional oxidase and catalase tests. The results showed highest prevalence of Staphylococcus spp. (52.75%), and particularly, of coagulase-negative staphylococci (CNS). Apart from the samples with a single bacterial species, 42 samples (23.86%) were shown to contain different isolates in associations. The most prevalent associations were those of Staphylococcus caseolyticus + S. adjacens and Staphylococcus caseolyticus + Proteus penneri (9.52%).


Keywords: Goat,mastitis, microorganisms, Staphylococcus spp.,mammary gland.
Download this article as Download

How to cite this article:

Kalin Hristov, Teodora Popova, Roman Pepovich and Branimir Nikolov. 2016. Characterization of Microbial Causative Agents of Subclinical Mastitis in Goats in BulgariaInt.J.Curr.Microbiol.App.Sci. 5(8): 316-323. doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.20546/ijcmas.2016.508.034