Follow
International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences (IJCMAS)
IJCMAS is now DOI (CrossRef) registered Research Journal. The DOIs are assigned to all published IJCMAS Articles.
Index Copernicus ICI Journals Master List 2018 - IJCMAS--ICV 2018: 95.39 For more details click here
National Academy of Agricultural Sciences (NAAS) : NAAS Score: *5.38 (2020) [Effective from January 1, 2020]For more details click here

Login as a Reviewer

Indexed in



National Academy of Agricultural Sciences (NAAS)
NAAS Score: *5.38 (2020)
[Effective from January 1, 2020]
For more details click here

ICV 2018: 95.39
Index Copernicus ICI Journals Master List 2018 - IJCMAS--ICV 2018: 95.39
For more details click here

See Guidelines to Authors
Current Issues

Original Research Articles

PRINT ISSN : 2319-7692
Online ISSN : 2319-7706
Issues : 12 per year
Publisher : Excellent Publishers
Email : editorijcmas@gmail.com / submit@ijcmas.com
Editor-in-chief: Dr.M.Prakash
Index Copernicus ICV 2018: 95.39
NAAS RATING 2020: 5.38

Int.J.Curr.Microbiol.App.Sci.2020.9(6): 1852-1861
DOI: https://doi.org/10.20546/ijcmas.2020.906.230


Role of Formal and Informal Seed Sector in Augmenting Seed Replacement Rate in Raichur District of Karnataka, India
Umesh Hiremath*, Basave Gowda, B. S. Ganiger and G. Y. Lokesh
National Seed Project (Crops), Seed Unit, University of Agricultural Sciences, Raichur, India
*Corresponding author
Abstract:

Meeting the ever increasing food demand with an alarming increased population is very challenging under climate changing scenario. This could be possible only through second green revolution or ever green revolution. For sustained agriculture production, a good quality seed is the most basic and essential input. Other inputs are contingent upon quality of seed for being optimally effective. The existing seed systems in India involve the formal seed sector, which is an official or private control of seed monitored through the various processes. The informal seed sector is simply the farmers themselves that provide each other and themselves with seed for sowing. Designing appropriate seed systems to meet the specific challenges demands clear identification of needs and strategies. It is very imperative to analyze the contribution of formal and informal seed sector in enhancing seed replacement rate. Hence, a survey based study has been conducted to discern the formal and informal seed sector contributions in seed supply in Raichur district of Karnataka. The formal seed sector is contributing 78% to total seed supply whereas, informal seed sector is contributing 22% to seed supply in the present study. Nearly 80% of the farmers are using quality seeds i.e. certified seed and truthfully labeled seed and remaining 20% farmers are using farm saved seeds. Significant variation has been observed with respect to quality of farmer saved seeds. More percentage of seedlings with primary infection was noticed in the abnormal seedlings category. 33% of the farmer saved seeds were below the Indian Minimum Seed Certification Standards for physical purity. There is no significant change in crops was observed during last ten years. Majority of the farmers are using jute bags for storing their farm saved seeds.


Keywords: Seed Sector, Seed Replacement Rate, informal seed sector
Download this article as Download

How to cite this article:

Umesh Hiremath, Basave Gowda, B. S. Ganiger and Lokesh, G. Y. 2020. Role of Formal and Informal Seed Sector in Augmenting Seed Replacement Rate in Raichur District of Karnataka, India.Int.J.Curr.Microbiol.App.Sci. 9(6): 1852-1861. doi: https://doi.org/10.20546/ijcmas.2020.906.230