Follow
International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences (IJCMAS)
IJCMAS is now DOI (CrossRef) registered Research Journal. The DOIs are assigned to all published IJCMAS Articles.
Index Copernicus ICI Journals Master List 2018 - IJCMAS--ICV 2018: 95.39 For more details click here
National Academy of Agricultural Sciences (NAAS) : NAAS Score: *5.38 (2020) [Effective from January 1, 2020]For more details click here

Login as a Reviewer

Indexed in



National Academy of Agricultural Sciences (NAAS)
NAAS Score: *5.38 (2020)
[Effective from January 1, 2020]
For more details click here

ICV 2018: 95.39
Index Copernicus ICI Journals Master List 2018 - IJCMAS--ICV 2018: 95.39
For more details click here

See Guidelines to Authors
Current Issues

Original Research Articles

PRINT ISSN : 2319-7692
Online ISSN : 2319-7706
Issues : 12 per year
Publisher : Excellent Publishers
Email : editorijcmas@gmail.com / submit@ijcmas.com
Editor-in-chief: Dr.M.Prakash
Index Copernicus ICV 2018: 95.39
NAAS RATING 2020: 5.38

Int.J.Curr.Microbiol.App.Sci.2018.7(5): 3173-3182
DOI: https://doi.org/10.20546/ijcmas.2018.705.371


Bacteriological Profile of Blood Culture from Adult Sepsis Patients from a Rural Based Tertiary Care and Teaching Hospital, Piparia, Vadodara, India
Radhika Khara and Sucheta J. Lakhani
Department of Microbiology, SBKS MI & RC, Piparia, Waghodia – 391760, Gujarat, India
*Corresponding author
Abstract:

In the last decade a number of tests were developed and used for early detection of sepsis yet blood culture remains a gold standard in establishing diagnosis of sepsis according to 1992-2001 definition which gives an emphasis on the role of microbes in the pathogenesis of sepsis. Thus this study was aimed at isolating and identifying bacterial and/or fungal agents from blood culture of the patients diagnosed clinically as having sepsis. A total of 673 blood cultures were performed from 743 patients and in the remaining patients microbes other than bacteria/fungi were found as cause of sepsis and so blood cultures were not performed in them. A total of 50.96% (343/673) samples did not yield any bacterial/fungal growth whereas the rest 49.03% (330/673) showed growth with 339 isolates. The majority samples had single bacterial isolate i.e. 292 (88.48%) whereas 12 (3.64%) had polymicrobial i.e. >1 type of bacteria or bacteria plus fungus together from a single sample and 26 (7.90%) samples had only fungal isolates. Also, of the 339 isolates, 51.32% (174/339) were Gram negative bacilli, 38.64% (131/339) were Gram positive bacteria and 10.02% (34/339) Candida species. Klebsiella spp. - 19.46% (66/339) was the most frequent isolate from blood culture followed by Staphylococcus aureus- 15.04% (51/339), CoNS- 14.45% (49/339), E. coli 14.15% (48/339), Candida species 10.02% (34/339), Enterococcus species7.37% (25/339), Acinetobacter species 7.96% (27/339), Salmonella species 4.42% (15/339), Pseudomonas spp. 4.13% (14/339) and a small percentage of each of Streptococcus pyogenes (4/339), Citrobacter freundii (2/339), Proteus spp. (n=1), an unidentified GNB (1/339) and contaminant GPR (2/339).


Keywords: Sepsis, Blood culture, Bacteria
Download this article as Download

How to cite this article:

Radhika Khara and Sucheta J. Lakhani. 2018. Bacteriological Profile of Blood Culture from Adult Sepsis Patients from a Rural Based Tertiary Care and Teaching Hospital, Piparia, Vadodara, India.Int.J.Curr.Microbiol.App.Sci. 7(5): 3173-3182. doi: https://doi.org/10.20546/ijcmas.2018.705.371