Follow
International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences (IJCMAS)
IJCMAS is now DOI (CrossRef) registered Research Journal. The DOIs are assigned to all published IJCMAS Articles.
Index Copernicus ICI Journals Master List 2017 - IJCMAS--ICV 2017: 100.00 For more details click here
National Academy of Agricultural Sciences (NAAS) : NAAS Score: *5.38 (2019) [Effective from January 1, 2019]For more details click here

Login as a Reviewer

Indexed in



National Academy of Agricultural Sciences (NAAS)
NAAS Score: *5.38 (2019)
[Effective from January 1, 2019]
For more details click here

ICV 2017: 100.00
Index Copernicus ICI Journals Master List 2017 - IJCMAS--ICV 2017: 100.00
For more details click here

See Guidelines to Authors
Current Issues

Original Research Articles

PRINT ISSN : 2319-7692
Online ISSN : 2319-7706
Issues : 12 per year
Publisher : Excellent Publishers
Email : editorijcmas@gmail.com / submit@ijcmas.com
Editor-in-chief: Dr.M.Prakash
Index Copernicus ICV 2017: 100.00
NAAS RATING 2018: 5.38

Int.J.Curr.Microbiol.App.Sci.2017.6(11): 1146-1155
DOI: https://doi.org/10.20546/ijcmas.2017.611.137


Assessment of Land Suitability of Bilalgodu Micro-Watershed, Chikkamagaluru District, Karnataka for Optimal Agriculture Use Planning
B. Kalaiselvi1*, Rajendra Hegde1, R. Vasundhara1, S. Dharmarajan1 and S.K. Singh2
1ICAR-National Bureau of Soil Survey and Land Use Planning, Regional Centre, Bangalore-560 024, India
2ICAR-National Bureau of Soil Survey and Land Use Planning, Nagpur- 440 033, India
*Corresponding author
Abstract:

Detailed soil resource inventorization was carried out at 1:7,920 scale in Bilalgodu micro-watershed, Mudigere taluk, Chikkamagaluru district with an objective to assess the land suitability for various crops in the watershed. The soils of Bilalgodu micro-watershed are characterised and classified into 5 soil series comprising of 30 mapping units. The soil site characteristics and climatic factors were evaluated for its suitability for major existing crops of the location viz., coffee, arecanut, coconut and rice. Nearly 88 % soils of the micro-watershed are highly suitable for coffee cultivation and remaining 12 % are moderately suitable with gravelliness limitations (35-60%). Coconut is moderately suitable for 95 % area of micro-watershed with the constraints of erosion and gravelliness. Though arecanut crop is occupying more cultivated area, the suitability is only marginal due to the limitations of slope and erosion. In lowland soil (S5 series), rice is the predominantly cultivated field crop in the watershed which is moderately suitable (8 % TGA). Rice is not suitable (N) for other soils except lowland soils mainly because of topography limitation (l). Overall, Coffee is the highly suitable crop for Bilalgodu micro-watershed representing Malnad region of Chikkamagaluru district, Karnataka.


Keywords: Inventorization, Land suitability, Watershed, Topography, Gravelliness.
Download this article as Download

How to cite this article:

Kalaiselvi, B., Rajendra Hegde, R. Vasundhara, S. Dharmarajan and Singh, S.K. 2017. Assessment of Land Suitability of Bilalgodu Micro-Watershed, Chikkamagaluru District, Karnataka for Optimal Agriculture Use Planning.Int.J.Curr.Microbiol.App.Sci. 6(11): 1146-1155. doi: https://doi.org/10.20546/ijcmas.2017.611.137