Follow
International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences (IJCMAS)
IJCMAS is now DOI (CrossRef) registered Research Journal. The DOIs are assigned to all published IJCMAS Articles.
Index Copernicus ICI Journals Master List 2019 - IJCMAS--ICV 2019: 96.39 For more details click here
National Academy of Agricultural Sciences (NAAS) : NAAS Score: *5.38 (2020) [Effective from January 1, 2020]For more details click here

Login as a Reviewer

Indexed in



National Academy of Agricultural Sciences (NAAS)
NAAS Score: *5.38 (2020)
[Effective from January 1, 2020]
For more details click here

ICV 2019: 96.39
Index Copernicus ICI Journals Master List 2019 - IJCMAS--ICV 2019: 96.39
For more details click here

See Guidelines to Authors
Current Issues

Original Research Articles

PRINT ISSN : 2319-7692
Online ISSN : 2319-7706
Issues : 12 per year
Publisher : Excellent Publishers
Email : editorijcmas@gmail.com / submit@ijcmas.com
Editor-in-chief: Dr.M.Prakash
Index Copernicus ICV 2018: 95.39
NAAS RATING 2020: 5.38

Int.J.Curr.Microbiol.App.Sci.2020.9(10): 332-339
DOI: https://doi.org/10.20546/ijcmas.2020.910.041


Prevalence and Antibiogram of Bacterial Uropathogens in a Tertiary care Teaching Hospital
Lakshmi Jyothi, M. Wajid* and Shazia Naaz
Department of Microbiology, ESIC Medical College & Hospital, Sanath Nagar Hyderabad, India
*Corresponding author
Abstract:

Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs) are very common in clinical settings and many organisms are ground to be multi-drug resistant. Therefore, analyzing antibiotic susceptibility patterns will not only help in therapeutic difficulties but also decrease the indiscriminate use of antibiotics which are causing the development of MDR. Bacterial Isolates with a colony count of more than 10 5/ml were included in the study. The uropathogens were isolated using Urochrome UTI agar and MacConkey agar. Identification was done by standard biochemical reactions and then subjected to antibiotic susceptibility testing against 18 antibiotics of different classes using Kirby-Bauer's disc diffusion method. Out of a total of n=4385 urine samples processed 974 (22.2%) were found to have significant bacteriuria and n=3413(77.8%) were found to be negative. Gram-negative bacteria were found to be 78.7% while gram-positive cocci accounted for the remaining 21.3 % of the total pathogens, E. coli (54%), Enterococcus spp (18%), K. pneumoniae (15%). Regular monitoring and surveillance is the need of the hour given the constantly rising drug resistance. It is necessary to make a local antibiogram about the hospital environment in discussion with the physicians to provide an updated and effective empirical treatment of UTIs.


Keywords: Uropathogens, UTIs, Antibiogram, Drug resistance, Antibiotic susceptibility
Download this article as Download

How to cite this article:

Lakshmi Jyothi, M. Wajid and Shazia Naaz. 2020. Prevalence and Antibiogram of Bacterial Uropathogens in a Tertiary care Teaching Hospital.Int.J.Curr.Microbiol.App.Sci. 9(10): 332-339. doi: https://doi.org/10.20546/ijcmas.2020.910.041