Follow
International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences (IJCMAS)
IJCMAS is now DOI (CrossRef) registered Research Journal. The DOIs are assigned to all published IJCMAS Articles.
Index Copernicus ICI Journals Master List 2018 - IJCMAS--ICV 2018: 95.39 For more details click here
National Academy of Agricultural Sciences (NAAS) : NAAS Score: *5.38 (2020) [Effective from January 1, 2020]For more details click here

Login as a Reviewer

Indexed in



National Academy of Agricultural Sciences (NAAS)
NAAS Score: *5.38 (2020)
[Effective from January 1, 2020]
For more details click here

ICV 2018: 95.39
Index Copernicus ICI Journals Master List 2018 - IJCMAS--ICV 2018: 95.39
For more details click here

See Guidelines to Authors
Current Issues

Original Research Articles

PRINT ISSN : 2319-7692
Online ISSN : 2319-7706
Issues : 12 per year
Publisher : Excellent Publishers
Email : editorijcmas@gmail.com / submit@ijcmas.com
Editor-in-chief: Dr.M.Prakash
Index Copernicus ICV 2018: 95.39
NAAS RATING 2020: 5.38

Int.J.Curr.Microbiol.App.Sci.2020.9(9): 1967-1978
DOI: https://doi.org/10.20546/ijcmas.2020.909.247


Trend in Area, Production and Productivity of all Rice and boro Rice in Bihar State
Deepak Kumar Skand1*, Mukesh Kumar Wadhwani2 and M. Rahaman3
Department of Agricultural Economics, Bihar Agricultural University,Sabour, Bhagalpur- 813210
*Corresponding author
Abstract:

Rice occupies a pivotal place in Indian agriculture and provides 43% calorie requirement for more than 70 % of its people. It accounts for about 42% of total food grain production and 55% of cereal production in the country. The CGAR (from 1997-98 to 2017-18) of area, production and productivity under all rice was found as 1.09 per cent, 0.68 per cent and 0.62 per cent, respectively, while that of boro rice it was found as1.73 per cent, 1.58 per cent and 0.91 per cent, respectively. The annual growth rate for the same period of all rice in zone II of Bihar was 1.18 percent for area, 0.84 per cent for production and 0.72 per cent for productivity while that of boro rice of was 1.60 for area, 1.44 per cent for production and 0.90 per cent for productivity. Thereby showing that area, production and productivity of all rice and boro rice has increased from 1997-98 to 2017-18 in the state. In Bihar state rice is grown in 3.30 million hectares, covering 60 percent of Net Cropped Area, producing8.09 million tonnes with the productivity of 2447 kg/ha (DES, 2017-18). The productivity of the crop in the state is far below the national average (2578Kg/ ha). In the state, rice is grown in versatile adaptation from precarious moisture as rainfed upland to deep water area having 3-4 meter water as deep water crop with many intermediate situations in between. The diverse ecological situation, varying climate and pedagogical conditions along with socio-economic diversities make rice cultivation a highly risky venture, resulting in overall poor productivity of the crop in the state. In Bihar around 33 percent of the total rice area in the state is under assured irrigation while remaining 67 percent is under rainfed situation. A large tract of land of Bihar state becomes unsuitable for traditional kharif crops due to flood and water logging from rivers and its tributaries from July to October months. The cultivation of rice during rabi crop season (November to May) was unknown probably till the new rice cultivars were introduced in eastern part of India through Bangladesh refugees. The cultivation of rice during winter months is termed as boro rice.


Keywords: Trend, CAGR, Garrett Score, boro rice, Zone II Bihar
Download this article as Download

How to cite this article:

Deepak Kumar Skand, Mukesh Kumar Wadhwani and Rahaman, M. 2020. Trend in Area, Production and Productivity of all Rice and boro Rice in Bihar State.Int.J.Curr.Microbiol.App.Sci. 9(9): 1967-1978. doi: https://doi.org/10.20546/ijcmas.2020.909.247