Follow
International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences (IJCMAS)
IJCMAS is now DOI (CrossRef) registered Research Journal. The DOIs are assigned to all published IJCMAS Articles.
Index Copernicus ICI Journals Master List 2018 - IJCMAS--ICV 2018: 95.39 For more details click here
National Academy of Agricultural Sciences (NAAS) : NAAS Score: *5.38 (2020) [Effective from January 1, 2020]For more details click here

Login as a Reviewer

Indexed in



National Academy of Agricultural Sciences (NAAS)
NAAS Score: *5.38 (2020)
[Effective from January 1, 2020]
For more details click here

ICV 2018: 95.39
Index Copernicus ICI Journals Master List 2018 - IJCMAS--ICV 2018: 95.39
For more details click here

See Guidelines to Authors
Current Issues

Original Research Articles

PRINT ISSN : 2319-7692
Online ISSN : 2319-7706
Issues : 12 per year
Publisher : Excellent Publishers
Email : editorijcmas@gmail.com / submit@ijcmas.com
Editor-in-chief: Dr.M.Prakash
Index Copernicus ICV 2018: 95.39
NAAS RATING 2020: 5.38

Int.J.Curr.Microbiol.App.Sci.2020.9(4): 1486-1491
DOI: https://doi.org/10.20546/ijcmas.2020.904.175


Study of the Socioeconomic Status of Women Vermicompost-Producing Farmers in Kashmir Valley
Hamadani*, J. D. Parrah, N. Hassan, R. A. Dar, F. D. Sheikh,M. Shah, P. A. Reshi and S. A. Haq
Mountain Livestock Research Institute, Sher-e-Kashmir University of Agricultural Sciences and Technology of Kashmir, Manasbal, Ganderbal – 193504 (J&K), India
*Corresponding author
Abstract:

Vermicomposting venture has a potential to help farmers fetch reasonable profits with little inputs. Vermicomposting is gaining popularity among rural women folk and is empowering them in many ways. The same has gained popularity among the women folks too. A study was planned to assess the socioeconomic status of women farmers getting their livelihood from vermicompost production in the districts of Bandipora and Baramulla of Jammu and Kashmir. The result revealed that 68.2 % farmers lived in nuclear families, while the remaining 31.8 % lived jointly, with the average nuclear and joint family size of 5.6 ± 0.43 and 10.71 ± 1.65 members respectively. Majority of the families were headed by males (86.4 %) with the overall head’s literacy rate being 18.2 %. Literacy rate of the women vermicompost farmers average to 27.3 %. Overall literacy rate of male members in their families was found to be more than the female members. The family constituted of 51.14 % earning male members and 47.04 % earning female members. Livestock owned by them included cattle, sheep, goat, horses, ducks and geese. Overall, 81.8 % famers owned land which they used for varied purposes.


Keywords: Empowerment,Education, Livelihood, Vermicompost,Women
Download this article as Download

How to cite this article:

Hamadani, H., J. D. Parrah, N. Hassan, R. A. Dar, F. D. Sheikh, R. M. Shah, P. A. Reshi and Haq, S. A. 2020. Study of the Socioeconomic Status of Women Vermicompost-Producing Farmers in Kashmir Valley.Int.J.Curr.Microbiol.App.Sci. 9(4): 1486-1491. doi: https://doi.org/10.20546/ijcmas.2020.904.175