Follow
International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences (IJCMAS)
IJCMAS is now DOI (CrossRef) registered Research Journal. The DOIs are assigned to all published IJCMAS Articles.
Index Copernicus ICI Journals Master List 2018 - IJCMAS--ICV 2018: 95.39 For more details click here
National Academy of Agricultural Sciences (NAAS) : NAAS Score: *5.38 (2020) [Effective from January 1, 2020]For more details click here

Login as a Reviewer

Indexed in



National Academy of Agricultural Sciences (NAAS)
NAAS Score: *5.38 (2020)
[Effective from January 1, 2020]
For more details click here

ICV 2018: 95.39
Index Copernicus ICI Journals Master List 2018 - IJCMAS--ICV 2018: 95.39
For more details click here

See Guidelines to Authors
Current Issues

Original Research Articles

PRINT ISSN : 2319-7692
Online ISSN : 2319-7706
Issues : 12 per year
Publisher : Excellent Publishers
Email : editorijcmas@gmail.com / submit@ijcmas.com
Editor-in-chief: Dr.M.Prakash
Index Copernicus ICV 2018: 95.39
NAAS RATING 2020: 5.38

Int.J.Curr.Microbiol.App.Sci.2020.9(4): 1097-1102
DOI: https://doi.org/10.20546/ijcmas.2020.904.130


Economic Analysis of Makhana Cultivation in Darbhanga and Madhubani Districts of Bihar, India
Amardeep Sharma, R. R. Mishra, Bipin Saw and Nasim Ahmad*
Department of Agricultural Economics, Dr. Rajendra Prasad Central Agricultural University, Pusa- 848125, Bihar, India
*Corresponding author
Abstract:

Makhana or gorgon nut (Euryale ferox) is an aquatic crop belongs to Nymphaeaceae family and is grown in some districts of north Bihar. The present study was conducted in two leading makhana producing districts, Darbhanaga and Madhubani of Bihar. The main objective of the investigation was to assess the costs and returns from cultivation of makhana in the study area. The results revealed that on an average the cost of cultivation of Makhana was estimated to be Rs. 57370.50/ha. The share of variable cost in total cost of cultivation was found 81.80 % and remaining 18.20 % was accounted for by fixed cost. Among variable costs, the cost of human labour alone amounted to Rs. 33606.03/ha which constituted 58.60 % of the total cost. Among various items of fixed cost, pond rent was the most important cost and was estimated to be Rs. 9492.07/ha constituting 16.54% of total per hectare expenditure. On an average per hectare production of raw Makhana was found 19.07 quintals. Gross return, per hectare of Makhana pond was observed to be Rs.171630.00. Net returns, over Cost A, Cost B and Cost C were worked out to be Rs. 117344.80/ha, Rs.105739.70/ha and Rs.103617.24/ha, respectively. Benefit- Cost ratio came out to be 2.16, 1.60 and 1.52 over Cost A, Cost B and Cost C respectively. Cultivation of makhana has immense potential for enhancing the economic status of the Mallah (Fishermen) community who are particularly engaged in its cultivation. Makhana cultivation may be promoted by the state government along with NRC, Darbhanga and training cum demonstration programme on cultivation practices should be imparted for efficient cultivation. Makhana cultivated in pond system is totally an organic product. This aspect of Makhana should be highlighted and promoted among the developed countries of the world to fetch foreign exchange. Scientific community can also help in boosting up the marketing of makhana by highlight the nutritional values and other benefits.


Keywords: Makhana, Cost of cultivation, Gross return, Net return, Benefit- Cost ratio
Download this article as Download

How to cite this article:

Amardeep Sharma, R. R. Mishra, Bipin Saw and Nasim Ahmad. 2020. Economic Analysis of Makhana Cultivation in Darbhanga and Madhubani Districts of Bihar.Int.J.Curr.Microbiol.App.Sci. 9(4): 1097-1102. doi: https://doi.org/10.20546/ijcmas.2020.904.130