Follow
International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences (IJCMAS)
IJCMAS is now DOI (CrossRef) registered Research Journal. The DOIs are assigned to all published IJCMAS Articles.
Index Copernicus ICI Journals Master List 2017 - IJCMAS--ICV 2017: 100.00 For more details click here
National Academy of Agricultural Sciences (NAAS) : NAAS Score: *5.38 (2019) [Effective from January 1, 2019]For more details click here

Login as a Reviewer

Indexed in



National Academy of Agricultural Sciences (NAAS)
NAAS Score: *5.38 (2019)
[Effective from January 1, 2019]
For more details click here

ICV 2017: 100.00
Index Copernicus ICI Journals Master List 2017 - IJCMAS--ICV 2017: 100.00
For more details click here

See Guidelines to Authors
Current Issues

Original Research Articles

PRINT ISSN : 2319-7692
Online ISSN : 2319-7706
Issues : 12 per year
Publisher : Excellent Publishers
Email : editorijcmas@gmail.com / submit@ijcmas.com
Editor-in-chief: Dr.M.Prakash
Index Copernicus ICV 2017: 100.00
NAAS RATING 2018: 5.38

Int.J.Curr.Microbiol.App.Sci.2019.8(8): 2133-2143
DOI: https://doi.org/10.20546/ijcmas.2019.808.249


Comparison of Direct Stool Microscopy with Formol Ether Concentration in the Isolation of Soil Transmitted Helminths in Adult Population
A.S. Liji1, Nonika Rajkumari1*, Subhash Chandra Parija1 and K.T. Harichandrakumar2
1Department of Microbiology, Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research, Puducherry – 605006, India
2Department of Medical Biometrics and Informatics (Biostatistics), Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education and Research, Puducherry – 605006, India
*Corresponding author
Abstract:

Soil transmitted helminths or geohelminths still contribute a major burden to many countries including India. It’s of utmost importance to detect them accurately and timely. Studies on this group of intestinal parasites in adults are rare. Hence, the study explored the usefulness of stool concentration technique and compared them with the direct microscopy for better isolation of the geohelminths in adults. In this study, 254 consecutive stool samples were taken from adult patients of the hospital. Direct and formol ether concentration techniques was performed for each sample and the positive sample smears were stained with suitable stains for proper identification of the parasites. Positivity of egg/ova or adult worm/larva by either method was noted and results were compared and analysed. Of the total 254 samples, 39 samples were positive for an intestinal parasite by concentration method and 22 samples by direct wet mount microscopy. Cohen’s Kappa is 0.686. P value < 0.001. Geohelminths were identified in 23 positive samples. Mixed infection was seen in only 1 sample. Overall, A. lumbricoides (45.23%) was the predominant parasite followed by Blastocystis (21.43%). Comparing these helminths to the other intestinal parasites, its isolation was more (55%) than the other intestinal helminths (45%) thereby indicating its common occurrence in the study population. Female predominance (56%) was seen among the enrolled patients. Better recovery was seen by the concentration technique and hence its detection. Adding this technique over to the direct microscopy will be a useful adjunct to detect and treat patients with low parasite count especially in the immunocompromised population.


Keywords: Microscopy, Formol ether concentration, Soil transmitted helminths, Adults, Ascaris, Isolation
Download this article as Download

How to cite this article:

Liji, A.S., Nonika Rajkumari, Subhash Chandra Parija and Harichandrakumar, K.T. 2019. Comparison of Direct Stool Microscopy with Formol Ether Concentration in the Isolation of Soil Transmitted Helminths in Adult Population.Int.J.Curr.Microbiol.App.Sci. 8(8): 2133-2143. doi: https://doi.org/10.20546/ijcmas.2019.808.249