Follow
International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences (IJCMAS)
IJCMAS is now DOI (CrossRef) registered Research Journal. The DOIs are assigned to all published IJCMAS Articles.
Index Copernicus ICI Journals Master List 2017 - IJCMAS--ICV 2017: 100.00 For more details click here
National Academy of Agricultural Sciences (NAAS) : NAAS Score: *5.38 (2019) [Effective from January 1, 2019]For more details click here

Login as a Reviewer

Indexed in



National Academy of Agricultural Sciences (NAAS)
NAAS Score: *5.38 (2019)
[Effective from January 1, 2019]
For more details click here

ICV 2017: 100.00
Index Copernicus ICI Journals Master List 2017 - IJCMAS--ICV 2017: 100.00
For more details click here

See Guidelines to Authors
Current Issues

Original Research Articles

PRINT ISSN : 2319-7692
Online ISSN : 2319-7706
Issues : 12 per year
Publisher : Excellent Publishers
Email : editorijcmas@gmail.com / submit@ijcmas.com
Editor-in-chief: Dr.M.Prakash
Index Copernicus ICV 2017: 100.00
NAAS RATING 2018: 5.38

Int.J.Curr.Microbiol.App.Sci.2019.8(5): 2448-2463
DOI: https://doi.org/10.20546/ijcmas.2019.805.289


Background, Current Scenario and Future Challenges of the Indian Silk Industry
Rubia Bukhari1* and Himpreet Kour2
1Sher-e- Kashmir University of Agricultural Sciences & Technology of Jammu, Main Campus Chatha, Jammu , Jammu & Kashmir – 180009, India
2Department of Animal Husbandry Jammu & Kashmir 180001, India
*Corresponding author
Abstract:

India is the second largest producer of silk and also the largest consumer of silk in the world having a strong tradition bound domestic market and it has the distinction of producing all the four varieties of silk viz. Mulberry, Eri, Tasar and Muga. In India, due to favorable climatic conditions, mulberry is cultivated mainly in five states, viz., Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, West Bengal and Jammu & Kashmir. These five states collectively account for 97% of the total area under mulberry cultivation and 95% of raw silk production in the country. The present global scenario clearly indicates enormous opportunities for the Indian Silk Industry. In 2016-17 the mulberry Silk Production Statistics estimated the world silk production to be 192,692 metric tonnes. China’s contribution to world silk production is 80% (158,400 metric tonnes), and the share of Indian silk production is 30,348 metric tons (13%). China and India together account for 93% of world silk production. According to the Annual Report of the Central Silk Board (CSB) for the year 2016-2017 the silk scenario of India Domestic demand 36,000 metric tonnes, Own production 30,348 metric tonnes, Gap in production 6000 metric tonnes, Raw silk imports 3795 metric tonnes, Silk fabric imports 3000 metric tonnes, Silk exports (worth Rs.) 2093.42 cr, Sericulture villages 52,360, Sericulture families 9, 47, 631, Employment (lakh persons) 85.10. The market share of Indian silk exports in the global silk trade is 4% to 5%.


Keywords: Indian silk industry, Mulberry, Silk fabric, Silk trade, Market share, Annual report
Download this article as Download

How to cite this article:

Rubia Bukhari and Himpreet Kour. 2019. Background, Current Scenario and Future Challenges of the Indian Silk Industry.Int.J.Curr.Microbiol.App.Sci. 8(5): 2448-2463. doi: https://doi.org/10.20546/ijcmas.2019.805.289