Follow
International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences (IJCMAS)
IJCMAS is now DOI (CrossRef) registered Research Journal. The DOIs are assigned to all published IJCMAS Articles.
Index Copernicus ICI Journals Master List 2017 - IJCMAS--ICV 2017: 100.00 For more details click here
National Academy of Agricultural Sciences (NAAS) : NAAS Score: *5.38 (2019) [Effective from January 1, 2019]For more details click here

Login as a Reviewer

Indexed in



National Academy of Agricultural Sciences (NAAS)
NAAS Score: *5.38 (2019)
[Effective from January 1, 2019]
For more details click here

ICV 2017: 100.00
Index Copernicus ICI Journals Master List 2017 - IJCMAS--ICV 2017: 100.00
For more details click here

See Guidelines to Authors
Current Issues

Original Research Articles

PRINT ISSN : 2319-7692
Online ISSN : 2319-7706
Issues : 12 per year
Publisher : Excellent Publishers
Email : editorijcmas@gmail.com / submit@ijcmas.com
Editor-in-chief: Dr.M.Prakash
Index Copernicus ICV 2017: 100.00
NAAS RATING 2018: 5.38

Int.J.Curr.Microbiol.App.Sci.2019.8(3): 324-329
DOI: https://doi.org/10.20546/ijcmas.2019.803.040


A Comparative Study on CD4 Count and Sputum Smear Examination by Fluorescent Microscopy in Retroviral Positive Patients in a Tertiary Care Centre
M.A. Ashiha Begum*, Kumar and Mani
Kanyakumari Govt. Medical College and Hospital, Kanyakumari, Tamilnadu, India
*Corresponding author
Abstract:

TB is the most common opportunistic infection (OI) among HIV infected individuals, and co infected individuals are at high risk of death. TB is the largest single cause of death in the setting of AIDS, accounting for 26% of AIDS related deaths, 99% of which occur in developing countries. HIV Associated Tuberculosis remains a major global public health challenge. Hence routine TB screening among PLWHA (People Living with HIV-AIDS) offers the opportunity to identify those without TB, helps for early diagnosis and promptly treat TB. The aims of the study are 1. To know the prevalence of HIV/TB Co-infection in a Tertiary care centre in a rural area 2. To find the CD4 count which gives Sputum smear positivity and negativity. Through Sputum smear examination by Fluorescent microscopy, routine HIV Testing by Rapid Test methods and CD4 count by Flowcytometry method are planned for this prospective study. In this study, out of 65 HIV positive Patients 30 (46%) had TB HIV coinfection, were started on Antituberculous treatment and remaining 35 (54%) were retroviral positive only. Prevalence of HIV/TB co-infection is 46% among the sample size in this study. Prevalence is more in males and reproductive age group 16-45 years as 60% of patients fall into this group.


Keywords: TB HIV, PLWHA, HIV testing, Sputum microscopy, CD4 count
Download this article as Download

How to cite this article:

Ashiha Begum, M.A., Kumar and Mani. 2019. A Comparative Study on CD4 Count and Sputum Smear Examination by Fluorescent Microscopy in Retroviral Positive Patients in a Tertiary Care Centre.Int.J.Curr.Microbiol.App.Sci. 8(3): 324-329. doi: https://doi.org/10.20546/ijcmas.2019.803.040