Follow
International Journal of Current Microbiology and Applied Sciences (IJCMAS)
IJCMAS is now DOI (CrossRef) registered Research Journal. The DOIs are assigned to all published IJCMAS Articles.
Index Copernicus ICI Journals Master List 2017 - IJCMAS--ICV 2017: 100.00 For more details click here
National Academy of Agricultural Sciences (NAAS) : NAAS Score: *5.38 (2019) [Effective from January 1, 2019]For more details click here

Login as a Reviewer

Indexed in



National Academy of Agricultural Sciences (NAAS)
NAAS Score: *5.38 (2019)
[Effective from January 1, 2019]
For more details click here

ICV 2017: 100.00
Index Copernicus ICI Journals Master List 2017 - IJCMAS--ICV 2017: 100.00
For more details click here

See Guidelines to Authors
Current Issues

Original Research Articles

PRINT ISSN : 2319-7692
Online ISSN : 2319-7706
Issues : 12 per year
Publisher : Excellent Publishers
Email : editorijcmas@gmail.com / submit@ijcmas.com
Editor-in-chief: Dr.M.Prakash
Index Copernicus ICV 2017: 100.00
NAAS RATING 2018: 5.38

Int.J.Curr.Microbiol.App.Sci.2019.8(2): 2024-2038
DOI: https://doi.org/10.20546/ijcmas.2019.802.236


Molecular Diversity and Population Structure in Breeding Lines of Castor (Ricinus communis L.)
Usha Kiran Betha* and C. Lavanya
ICAR-Indian Institute of Oilseeds Research (IIOR), Rajendranagar, Hyderabad-530030, India
*Corresponding author
Abstract:

Castor is a non-edible oilseed crop, primarily grown for oil containing an unusual hydroxy fatty acid and ricinoleic acid (80–90%) of the total fatty acids. Commercial exploitation of heterosis in castor was successful in India due to the development of stable pistillate lines from a dominant and epistatic “S” type pistillate source. Diversification of pistillate sources using NES and other new sources necessitated the need for identification of diverse male combiners among the existing pool of male combiners. In this study, 60 breeding lines/genotypes were characterized for genetic diversity and population structure using EST-SSRs primers. SSR allelic variation was low as indicated by the average number of alleles (2.8), gene diversity (0.53) and polymorphic information content (0.45). Cluster analysis (neighbor joining tree) revealed 3 major genotypic groups. The genotypes showed weak population structure (membership coefficients (≥ 0.75)) and 66.7% genotypes were classified into 3 populations (K=3) and the remaining 33.3% genotypes into admixture group in STRUCTURE analysis. The genetic diversity information generated in this study would assist in selection of diverse genotypes for breeding to exploit heterosis for development of hybrids.


Keywords: Castor, EST-SSR, Genetic diversity, Germplasm, Molecular marker
Download this article as Download

How to cite this article:

Usha Kiran Betha and Lavanya, C. 2019. Molecular Diversity and Population Structure in Breeding Lines of Castor (Ricinus communis L.).Int.J.Curr.Microbiol.App.Sci. 8(2): 2024-2038. doi: https://doi.org/10.20546/ijcmas.2019.802.236